Monday, October 24, 2005

Exciting Project: Hacking the Senseo Coffee Machine

After disappointingly returning a Kuerig coffee machine to the store (I'll post a review because I think some people would absolutely love this machine), I turned my attention back to the Senseo, which was had for a song last year when they first came out.

As any other coffee snob knows, the pursuit of cleaner brewing than the coffee press creates the drive to experiment. The pods of coffee sold by Douwe Egbert for the Senseo taste like early Maxwell House... that was never sold in the 50s and now re-packaged as pods...

In a pinch, I've found the Millstone Columbian Supremo to be better than tolerable and enjoyable at times, but I got to thinking and applied my talents to a better solution: what if I used my own ground coffee?

Well, a few iterations later and it's easy as pie.

I'll get the old camera out and make a little post showing you how you can easily use Starbucks (or any other brand) coffee in your Senseo or Melitta pod brewer. Easy as pie, and your mouth will thank you.

So, in the meantime, go back to your french press for a couple days :-)

Comments:
as I have been sitting in front of my laptop enduring some horrible french roast, I've been glancing over your profile a bit - lo and behold it seems you are a F. Dostoevsky fan. Have you ever read Demons (The Possessed)? It's my personal fav. after a semester's study of him in college.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm entirely connecting the dots correctly - but are you a graduate of AMSOL? If so then we are co-Tom Monaghan survivors (to various degrees - I graduated from the college and am now a grad student...)

Oh well, Cheers!
 
genx,

nope. that's far too complicated.

I'm using regular coffee filters, a tablespoon, and two measuring cups.

That other method sounds far too detailed to be worth it.

Besides, I can't see how I'd fit the amount of coffee I shove into that senseo into a tea bag... part of my drive was to be able to make STRONG coffee that tasted good.
 
OMG! Regular filters, you wanna blow up your senseo? People, don't do this... OMG.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved

Powered by Blogger